Thursday, April 11, 2013

Time Lapse Take Two

Second time lapse test completed! Last night I was dreaming of the sun rising and hitting the clouds in formations of light that looked like it was shooting through blinds before hitting the clouds from below. Super crazy, but I'm totally psyched! I woke up to find that the cloudy forecast for all of today was not entirely accurate. The sun rose for maybe ten minutes before shining direct beams, as opposed to a diffused clouded light.

I ran around, got dressed, set up the capture on the computer, checked the camera's position, focus, exposure, shrank the the image size of the RAW files, and started to click away. Still, it will probably be a few days until the timer/remote comes in for the Mark ii, so I had to manually click the capture button on the computer once every fifteen seconds for an hour and twenty minutes. I started the session just as the sun rose above the remaining clouds from last night's storm were moving on. This is way better than the one last night, but nowhere near where my goal for this really is. I'd say not bad for learning how to do this last night, and taking less than five minutes to set up!


About a half an hour later, everything was ready to post. I adjusted the temperature to give the video some heat. The shadows have been brought back in some areas as well. Sadly it's not the most exciting shot, so I've got to work on taking the time to really scout out before set up. I was also limited to a small window of time for setting up in an unanticipated rush, computer charger distance, and tether cord distance (which luckily is 20 feet). I do plan on practicing at this and hope to bring in a many more exciting time lapses. 


For a starting point, I am thrilled with the results here. In the world of photography you always have to prepare for the worst, but really, I had a great situation to work with, especially considering that I was expecting to have, well, none. True, I could have sat and done a really long capture session for the whole day, but the reality of the situation is still that I would have to capture manually, with a computer in my lap. I've got patience, but eight hours of that is not happening.





Without further adieu, here is the screenshot of the process just before finalization, as well as the final product below. I do plan on putting more research into video quality, but I do feel blogger has something to do with the delivery. Oh well, it's just more to research, which is always necessary. 






The images for this video were shot at 125 ISO, 1/250, f/4.5. The video was exported at 1080p, 30fps.


Post Script: If you do try out the method used with the videos in the previous post, then keep this in mind. When you export the video file, if you'd like to play it in Lightroom to check it out before putting it on your website, youtube, facebook, or whatever have you, than I have a workflow suggestion. Export it to where ever it is that you keep your Lightroom RAW files that you import from you camera. This way you can save SO much time to import your exported video back into Lightroom, but when you import back into Lightroom as a fully rendered video, make sure you use the "Add" option, and double check where the file is going. It should look like this:



No comments:

Post a Comment